Our Mission and Beliefs
"The mission of Hodges Elementary School is to provide all students with a quality education that promotes responsible life-long learning to become self-reliant citizens."
To equip today’s students for future challenges and opportunities.
We believe in the value of curriculum so:
- We believe it is as much about teaching the skill of inquiry (how to learn) as it is about the content standards (what to learn), so we create curriculum from kid watching and careful observation.
- We believe children learn by doing so we teach readers, writers, mathematicians, scientists, and social scientists through workshop model as well as posing and investigating questions.
- We believe in the power of teaching children to reflect and celebrate where they have been, where they are, and where they want to go; so we will approach our work with children, parents, and each other with a growth mindset.
We believe in the value of community:
- We are a community of learners tall and small, so we work together to ensure our students receive consistent instruction over time.
- We are all teachers and learners, so we encourage students to become experts and share their knowledge.
- In approaching everything with a growth mindset, so we build on children’s strengths, needs, and interests.
- In building a school community, so we will commit to common routines and rituals.
- In being an active participant in learning, so we will value and invest in school celebrations, learning opportunities, and events.
We believe in the value of assessment:
- So we create curriculum by kid watching, careful observation, and informal and formal assessments to drive instruction.
- So we teach children to reflect and celebrate where they have been, where they are, and where they want or need to go as learners.