Our Mission and Beliefs
The mission of Hodges Elementary School is to provide all students with a quality education that promotes responsible life-long learning to become self-reliant citizens.
To equip today’s students for future challenges and opportunities.
We believe in the value of curriculum so:
- We create curriculum from kid watching and careful observation since we believe it is as much about teaching the skill of inquiry (how to learn) as it is about the content standards (what to learn).
- We teach readers, writers, mathematicians, scientists, and social scientists through workshop model as well as posing and investigating questions since children learn by doing.
- We teach children to reflect and celebrate where they have been, where they are, and where they want to go.
We believe in the value of community so:
- We work together as a community of learners tall and small to ensure our students receive consistent instruction over time.
- We encourage students to become experts and share their knowledge through an apprenticeship model.
- We approach everything with a growth mindset while building on children’s strengths, needs, and interests.
- We will commit to common routines and rituals and invest in school celebrations, learning opportunities and events.
We believe in the value of assessment so:
- We create curriculum by kid watching, careful observation, and informal and formal assessments to drive instruction.
- We teach children to reflect and celebrate where they have been, where they are, and where they want or need to go as learners.